Tava Hoag extended resume
Tava C. Hoag
39 Beech Street, Clinton, MA, 01510
Summary: My objective in the professional field is to create and produce writing that moves people, and inspires them to follow their dreams. I plan to encourage others to create their own worlds and stories. The art I am passionate about dares people to be different. In a world where life is shifting towards the ordinary I believe it is essential for a person to become extraordinary.
Fitchburg State University Fitchburg, MA 2013-2016
- Bachelor of Arts in English/Professional Writing
University of Stirling Stirling, UK June-August 2015
- Journalism, Marketing, and a PR Internship
- Worked as Co-managing Editor for student newspaper, The Point
- Studied abroad during the summer of 2015 at the University of Stirling in Scotland, UK
- GPA 3.93
- Received Abigail Adams free tuition scholarship
Research Experience & Projects
Fitchburg State University
- Casebook study on the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer
- Research centered on the characters of these books and the negative effects their traits have on young adults.
- Artist as Business budget project: Traveling the U.S by hostels
- I dedicated my cross country journey to promoting hostels over hotels as a means of smarter, more affordable travel.
- Intermediate Social Media class: created a project outline/campaign for a local video advertising company, Scotch & Dogs.
- The project was centered on social media outreach. The video presented was created as a mock example of the work the company could do for a travel agency in Boston called, Audley Travel.
- British Modernism Analytical Writing Project: Stephen Dedalus’ Diagnosis from A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce.
- I focused my research on Stephen and the possibility that his odd behavior was in relation to Asperger’s Syndrome a diagnosis that would have been impossible during that time period. I used Jodi Picoult’s House Rules and articles from the American Journal of Psychology to supplement my research.
- Submission of work in Fitchburg State’s Detour and Route 2 literary magazines
- Published in The Clinton Item for an article on Gymnastics
- Published in The Banner for a feature story on a woman’s solo cross-country motorcycle journey
- Published in a National Magazine, Turner Topics for an article on Gymnastics
- “Harvard Lions Club”, feature article for Harvard Press.
- “Friendly Crossways Hostel” feature story for Harvard Press
- “Local Meals Tax” expose in the Harvard Press
- Three featured articles in the magazine Literary Traveler
- Two articles published in Immersion Travel Magazine, a publication dedicated to sustainable tourism.
Received a perfect score on the English MCAS.
Earned the highest average in AP English for three consecutive years during High School
Inducted into the English Honor Society, Sigma Tau Delta at Fitchburg State
Transferred six foreign language credits into college after earning a high score on the CLEP exam junior year of high school
Received the Vincent J. Mara scholarship for two consecutive years
- Completed my first year of college, while still a senior in high school, through the dual enrollment program.
- Winner of the Louis P. Shepherd Award two consecutive years in outstanding creative writing
- Named to President’s list for six consecutive semesters
- Graduated summa cum laude
September 2014-May 2015 Fitchburg State’s The Point Newspaper Fitchburg, MA
- Managed publication schedule
- Formatted all stories on WordPress for publication
- Assigned tasks and jobs to other class members
- Oversaw social media postings
- Wrote both news and opinion based articles
- Advanced understanding of work done in a newsroom
March 2015- May 2016 Fitchburg State’s Alternative Zine, Detour Fitchburg, MA
- Read and edited submissions from all genres
- Created ideas for social media promotion to generate interest in publication
- Submitted two pieces of writing bi-monthly to publication
- Attended meetings and contributed feedback and ideas.
- Determined mission statement to make publication more clear
September 2015-May 2016 Fitchburg State’s Literary Magazine Route 2 Fitchburg, MA
Section Editor/Editorial Board Member
- Responsible for generating content for each volume
- Read, edited, and decided which submissions to publish
- Attended meetings to discuss layout, print issues, and organize submissions
- In charge of final edits made on all pieces before they were set to print.
July 2015- August 2015 Willy Wallace Backpacker’s Hostel Stirling, Scotland, UK
Social Media and Promotional Intern
- Created a blog for the business with posts relating to hostel and guests
- Worked on travel assignments around town to be posted in blog and online
- Learned about the culture of hostels throughout Europe and the UK
- Met people from different countries and cultures
- Learned how to successfully interview and write promotional articles for websites
- Updated current website to fit more activities and up-to-date information.
September 2015- January 2016 Literary Traveler Magazine Somerville, MA
Section Editor, Researcher, Travel Writer, and Social Media Management
- Part of research team for new and innovative stories
- Responsible for updating and maintaining pages such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Required to generate content for website and blog
- Expected to edit and publish other writers’ pieces of writing
January 2016- May 2016 Intern at the Harvard Press Harvard, MA
Freelance writer, copy editor, proofreader, researcher, and social media manager
- Required to write and publish a news story each week.
- Attended weekly meetings with advisor/editor of paper
- Proofread the final stories every week before layout was complete
- Assisted with the marketing strategy through social media
- Interviewed town officials and students on various issues in the town of Harvard
- Sat in on school committee meetings and sporting events
- Collected the police log every few weeks and completed interviews with officers
June 2016-August 2016
Teaching Assistant & Resident Counselor at Cardigan Mountain School
- Supervised Brewster II dorm every other night.
- Gained a lot of experience teaching, interacting with, and supporting the learning of children ages 8-15.
- Learned grading rubrics and how to meet comment standards.
- In charge of two activities each afternoon, yoga and kayaking.
- Taught lessons in a writer’s workshop class
- Assisted other classroom teachers with activities
August 2016-September 2017
Freelance Writer with Immersion Travel Magazine
- Write travel bases articles about places I’ve been
- Present a new form of travel that is beneficial to both people and the environment
- Post pictures on the magazine’s Instagram page periodically.
- Research sustainable travel and different touring companies that offer such options
December 2017-Present Fathom Away Media
Freelance Article Writer
September 2010 – Present Clinton Turner Gymnastics Clinton, Massachusetts
Competitive Girl’s Gymnastics Coach
- USAG safety certified in Nov. 2016
- Background check completed July 2016
- Trained in USAG’s Risk Management Course
- CPR and First AID certified in June, 2016
- Responsible for the strength and conditioning courses each level goes through
- Head choreographer of both floor and beam routines
- Experience planning and hosting gymnastics events annually for the public
- Basic understanding of lesson plans and teaching objectives for each week
April 2017 Boston NewCo Greater Boston Area
Mass TLC Blog Writer
- Responsible for attending all of the sessions offered during NewCo
- Posts are up on Mass TLC Website
- Worked under strict deadlines
- Asked to write descriptive blog posts about each of the tech companies
December 2018 H Collective (https://thehhub.com/blog/)
November 2017-March 2018 Hudson High School Varsity Gymnastics
May 2017-Present Clinton Public School
- DeMisty Bellinger-Delfeld, Fitchburg State University, college professor, 978 665 3661, email@example.com
- Kelly Morgan, Fitchburg State University, college professor, 978 665 3555, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Benjamin Railton, Fitchburg State University, college professor, 978 665 4805, email@example.com
- Heidi Hoag, Clinton Turner Gymnastics, employer, 508 423 9648, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Devin Clifford, Cardigan Mountain School, employer, 603 523 3526, email@example.com
- Clare Scotti, Immersion Travel Magazine, employer, 928 308 2097, firstname.lastname@example.org